These Cinnamon Blueberry Hand Pies are a great comfort food that stands the test of time! This true family favorite includes a flaky crust, sweet filling, and can easily be incorporated into your breakfast, snack, or dessert routine.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
For the Cinnamon Crust:
- 1 cup Califia Farms Original Protein Oatmilk
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
For the Blueberry Filling:
- 1 cup blueberry preserves/jam
- 1 teaspoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- Organic brown sugar, optional
- For the crust, start by adding Califia Farms Original Protein Oatmilk and apple cider vinegar into a large measuring cup, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all-purpose flour, salt, cinnamon, and sugar, whisking together until combined.
- Add the cubed vegan butter and using a pastry blender or pastry tool, blend butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture becomes “pea-like” and crumbly.
- Pour the cold apple cider vinegar and Oatmilk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir (working it together with one hand) until dough is well-moistened. If the ingredients feel a little too dry, add 1 tablespoon of cold Oatmilk at a time until it’s moistened (but not too wet)!
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and flatten it slightly. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- For the blueberry filling, add blueberry preserves and lemon juice together and mix until the preserves become light and easy to stir. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After 1 hour, remove your dough from the refrigerator and place on a lightly-floured surface, rolling it out into a large rectangle (about 3mm thick). Cut into small-medium circles (we used a biscuit cutter), until all dough has been used.
- Lightly brush your circular pieces of dough with vegan butter. On half the pieces of dough, add 1 tablespoon of the blueberry filling and carefully use another piece of dough as the "top" to cover. Gently press the edges down to seal, then use a fork to carefully "crimp" around the edges and place on the baking sheet. Continue this process until all hand pies have been made.
- Once all pies are laid flat on the baking sheet, gently prick a set of holes/slits on the tops of the pies, using a knife or fork.
- Lightly brush all hand pies with melted vegan butter, sprinkle with brown sugar (optional) and bake in the oven 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. The filling will become bubbly and begin to slightly seep out.
- Remove from oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!