Instead of dreading veggie dominated dinners, we turned them into comfort food. This plant-based pasta dish has lots of delicious veggies and a creamy blend of our almondmilk creamer + nutritional yeast for that cheesy hit.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large bunch broccolini, trimmed and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ¾ pound whole wheat or gluten-free penne
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1¾ cups Califia Farms Unsweetened Almondmilk Creamer, divided
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the broccolini, carrots, and a pinch of salt, and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are brightly hued and tender-crisp. Remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
Add the pasta to a pot of boiling salted water, and cook according to the manufacturer's directions. While the pasta is cooking, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute for 30-60 seconds, or until golden. Add 1½ cups Unsweetened Almondmilk Creamer as well as the vegetable broth. Bring to a gentle simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook for 2 minutes to reduce slightly.
In a small bowl, whisk ¼ cup Unsweetened Almondmilk Creamer with the arrowroot, and add the slurry to the pan. Stir in the nutritional yeast, as well as 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes longer, or until the mixture beings to thicken just slightly. Continuing to cook on low heat, add the cooked pasta to the sauce, along with the frozen peas and parsley, tossing to combine. Fold in the sauteed vegetables, and cook until the cream sauce has been mostly absorbed by the pasta. Remove from heat and adjust seasonings to taste.
Serve warm, topped with additional parsley or fresh herbs as desired. Serves 6.