Recipe by Kristan Raines
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
For the Cake:
1 ¾ cup flour
¼ cup cornstarch
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp kosher salt
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tbs melted coconut oil
1 cup Vanilla Oatmilk
2 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
For the Soaking Liquid:
½ cup Vanilla Oatmilk
⅓ cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
1, 13.5 fl oz can coconut cream, chilled overnight
3-4 tbs powdered sugar, or more to taste
This wonderful vegan version of the classic tres leches is just as amazing as its original counterpart. It’s delightfully soaked with a tasty trio of plant milks and perfectly balances texture, flavor, and sweetness.
A flavorful cake inspired by the classic tres leches, soaked in a trio of vegan friendly milks, makes for a delicious and satisfying cake.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8x8” pan, and set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk well to combine and set aside.
- To a large bowl add the sugar, coconut oil, lemon juice, and vanilla oat milk, and whisk to combine.
- Sift the flour mixture into the oat milk mixture and gently whisk until just combined. A few lumps will remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, place into the oven, and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Set the cake aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the almond creamer, vanilla oat milk, and condensed coconut milk to a small bowl and whisk together until combined.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, use a skewer, (or chopstick) and puncture the cake multiple times, piercing all the way through. Very slowly, pour the soaking mixture over the cake. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, (preferably overnight) or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- For the frosting, open the can of coconut cream (do not tip the can) and scoop out the solidified cream at the top. Reserve the remaining liquid at the bottom of the can for another use. Add the hardened cream and 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar to a medium bowl and beat together with a hand mixer until fluffy and smooth. Taste and add any additional powdered sugar as needed.
- Frost the cake with the coconut whipped cream and cut into 9 squares. Garnish with some fresh strawberries if desired and enjoy!