- 1 batch flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 ½ Tbsp water)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 3/4 cup spelt flour (or sub more all-purpose)
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar plus more for topping
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary (stems removed // roughly chopped // organic when possible)
- 6-8 Tbsp room temperature Califia Farms plant butter
- 1/3 cup frozen wild blueberries (organic when possible)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or leave bare).
- Prepare flax egg in a small mixing bowl, then add almond milk.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine spelt flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, organic cane sugar, salt, and rosemary. Whisk to combine.
- Add room temperature coconut oil and use a pastry cutter (or fork) to cut it into the mixture until only small bits remain. Add more coconut oil if mixture seems too dry
- Whisk the flax-almond milk mixture once more and add to the dry ingredients a little at a time while stirring with a wooden spoon. Add blueberries and gently stir once more to incorporate.
- Gently transfer to a floured surface and use your hands to form it into a disc about 1 inch in height. Use a large knife to cut the circle into 6 even wedges (or 8 for smaller scones). Then use a floured spatula to transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with a bit more cane sugar.
- Bake for 22-27 min or until fluffy and light golden brown on the edges. Let cool slightly before enjoying.
- Best when fresh. Once completely cooled, store leftovers at room temperature in a well-sealed container for up to 3 days. Freezer for longer term storage.