Recipe by Kristan Raines
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
3/4 cup all purpose flour
⅔ cup + 2 tbsp superfine almond flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp maple syrup
4 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 ½ cup Vanilla Oat Creamer
2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp sugar
⅛ tsp kosher salt
2 tbsp vegan butter, cubed
1 lb strawberries, quartered or halved
1/2 pint raspberries
1-2 tbsp powdered sugar
This crumbly, delicate, almond shortbread tart finds the perfect match in a creamy vanilla oat vegan custard. Once adorned with a few berries, this is a dessert you won’t soon forget.
- To a medium bowl add theall purposeflour, almond flour, sea salt, and give everything a quick whisk to combine, then add the maple syrup and coconut oil. Stir until the mixture clumps up and begins to look like wet sand.
- Transfer the clumpy dough to a 14" L x 4.5" W rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom, and using your fingers, evenly press the dough along the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Gently puncture the dough with the tines of a fork all over. Wrap the tart pan with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 15 minutes. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place the tart in the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the crust edges take on a little color. Set aside to cool.
- While the crust is baking, begin making the custard. Add the cornstarch, sugar, and salt to a large saucepan and whisk until combined.
- While whisking constantly, slowly pour in the Vanilla Oat Creamer until fully incorporated and no clumps of cornstarch remain.
- While still whisking, place the saucepan over medium heat and let the mixture come up to a boil. Once boiling, continue whisking for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
- Immediately transfer the custard to a heatproof bowl and whisk in the vegan butter.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator. Allow the custard to fully chill before using, about 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, carefully remove the tart from its pan. Next, vigorously whisk the custard until smooth, then spread it evenly into the cooled crust. Top with fresh berries, a dusting of powdered sugar, and enjoy immediately!