Cook Time: 25
Prep Time: 25 minutes, plus 1 hour + 25 minutes Rise time
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
This Dairy-Free Wool Roll Bread with Strawberries is a healthier option to the hottest bread trend — Wool Roll Bread. Completely soft, fluffy, and showcases a beautiful outward slit design that when baked, looks like actual wool. This bread is the perfect Spring season baking must-have and comes rightly rolled with a natural strawberry jam filling that adds a nice bit of sweetness in every bite. Perfect for breakfast or as a nice in between snack.
- 1 ¼ cup Califia Farms Original Oatmilk, at room temp.
- 5 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 packet Rapid Rise Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted + cooled until warm
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserve
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Califia Farms Original Oatmilk, for brushing
- Start by combining the yeast and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and then slowly pouring in the warm water, whisking everything together until well combined and it begins to look ‘foamy’. Allow 10 minutes for the mixture to sit and the yeast to activate (It'll become completely foamy when done right).
- Add in the Oatmilk and melted butter to the yeast and whisk until well combined.
- Next, combine the all-purpose flour, cinnamon, and sea salt to the wet ingredients and (with a hook attachment) mix on low-speed until well combined and it begins to form like dough.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until the dough ball becomes smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers. NOTE: If dough is too sticky, add 1 Tablespoon of flour at a time until texture is achieved!
- Once dough ball is perfectly kneaded, add it to a lightly greased bowl (using 1 Tablespoon olive oil) and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit and rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease (using olive oil) a 9-inch round cake baking pan.
- Next, lightly flour a flat surface and place the dough on it, slightly kneading the dough onto the table before forming a loaf-like rectangular shape. Cut the dough into 5 pieces and using one piece, gently knead it using your hands so that it begins to soften and loosen up.
- Using a rolling-pin, roll out that piece into a flat rectangle and then using a pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut one half of the dough into ‘mini slit-like cuts’ vertically (about 1 quarter inch or so). NOTE: Try not to make the dough too thin or else rolling it up will be hard to do!
- On the uncut side of the dough, add 1 Tablespoon of strawberry preserve/jam and then gently fold in the sides of the dough, before tightly rolling it up (long-ways) into a full roll. Repeat steps 7-9 until all 5 pieces are filled and rolled tight.
- Once done, carefully place each roll into the prepared round cake pan, ensuring that you line them around the pan in a circular pattern, leaving the center empty.
- Then, lightly brush the tops with Oatmilk and placing plastic wrap over the baking pan and letting them rise again (for another 25 minutes).
- Once the rolls have doubled in size (once again!) or have gotten significantly larger, bake them for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the bread forms one large beautiful round shape.
- Remove the wool roll bread from the oven and wait 15-20 minutes or so (until it completely cools), before removing it from the pan and pulling it apart to enjoy!