Cook Time: 60
Prep Time: 20
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
This Vegan Pecan Pie is the perfect sweet indulge from a classic dessert staple with a beautiful, sweet twist-----a hint of caramel. This pie is completely dairy-free, vegan, and made from toasted pecans, pecan caramel creamer, Agave, organic brown sugar, warm spices, and no corn syrup and is housed with a simple cinnamon-infused, buttery, and flaky crust. This recipe is sure to please the crowd during the Holiday season, one slice and bite at a time.
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons organic pure cane sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup vegan buttery sticks, cold + cubed (You can also use cold vegan butter)
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal + 4 Tablespoons warm water
- 4 cups Halved Pecans
- 1 cup Califia Farms Pecan Caramel Creamer
- 2 Tablespoons Agave
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground all-spice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons Arrowroot Starch
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter, melted
For the Crust:
- In a measuring cup, add the cold water and apple cider vinegar along with an ice cube and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, pinch of cinnamon, sugar, and salt, whisking them all together.
- Add the cubed vegan butter sticks (or regular scooped vegan butter) and using a pastry blender, blend butter into dry ingredients until the mixture becomes “peas-like” and crumbly.
- Pour the cold apple cider vinegar-water mixture (slowly + without the ice) and stir (working it together with one hand) until the dry ingredients are moistened. **NOTE: If the ingredients feels a little too dry, add 1 Tablespoon of cold water at a time, until it’s moistened BUT not too wet!**
- Once you’re able to form it into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour (minimum), up to 1 ½ hours.
- A few minutes (20 minutes or so) before the chill time is set to be over, make the Pie Filling.
For the Filling:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, add the flaxseed meal and warm water together and stir until well combined. Let sit for 5-7 minutes until it appears thick like paste. Set aside.
- Add halved pecans atop baking sheet, spreading them out evenly and toast them for 10-15 minutes or until browned and fragrant. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the creamer, flaxseed mixture, Agave, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, arrowroot, stirring everything together until completely smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Remove dough ball from the refrigerator and place it onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out dough ball using a rolling pin (not making it too thin), about 1/2-inch thick and gently placing it in your pie crust dish; working it around evenly. Be sure to do any trimming, folding or tucking of any excess pie crust dough.
- Add cooled toasted pecans atop crust, evenly spreading them around until they cover the entire bottom crust.
- Pour pie filling mixture over pecans and lightly brush the tops of the pie crust with melted vegan butter.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, until crust becomes golden brown and the center of the filling is only ‘slightly jiggly’ if not fully set. **NOTE: If the crust begins to get too dark quickly, cover around the pie’s crust with foil paper or a pie crust shield halfway through, leaving the middle opened and exposed.**
- Once done, remove pie from oven and cool completely, about 2 hours minimum.
- To serve, slice pie and add to your favorite plate and top with Cocowhip or vegan ice cream, if desired.